Friday, January 12, 2007

Mind the..!


It’s a moment in which the normal rules of space and time cease to exist. Everything around you moves into slow motion and your brain begins its unenviable task of analysing the situation and trying to find a way out. There of course is no way out, I have caught my foot, my balance has gone and one way or another I am going down!

It was a stupid situation, I was climbing a set of stairs I had climbed every working weekday of my life for the last 3 years. A set of stairs I have, up until today, always managed to successfully navigate without incident. Today however was different. For one thing to a combination of being in a bad mood because there was a large truck blocking my parking space. Secondly in the true spirit of the modern age I was, instead of looking where I was going, fiddling about with my iPod.

It was a recipe for disaster and all those people who gleefully hold the mantra “I told you so” were given cause to wax lyrical as my foot caught under the top step and I found the accident was already in progress.

As I fell to my knees, all hopes that my little moment would have taken place beyond the sight of watching eyes were quickly dashed. I accepted my short round of applause and limped off to nurse my slightly bruised ego – a chocolate Hob Nob was involved!

No comments: