Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Great Bryson Folly, 2006

Yesterday through my letterbox came an invitation for me to join the Sussex MINI Treasure Hunt. Apparently one day in September the garage is organising this event for all MINI drivers to raise money for a kiddies charadee.

I have been thinking about signing up as:

A: Well it gets me out the house four an Hour

B: I’m guessing 50% of MINI drivers are female.

It was while thinking about this day, my thoughts were converted to a conversation JB and I were having several months ago.

It was in the wake of the Top Gear episode where Clarkson, driving the new Bugatti, had been racing the Shirt and the Other One who were flying a light aircraft. In the end of course it was Clarkson who won because James May wasn’t allowed to fly in the dark.

This got JB and I discussing a race of our own, a Bryson challenge! Our idea was from London to Liverpool, with the winner to be the first person to buy a pint at the Grapes pub in Matthew Street. JB was to be driving, and I was to be leaving it open to public transport. JB in the car would probably get to Liverpool first, but the advantage would swing back to me because I knew exactly where I was going.

It never happened of course, it was never going to.

So here’s the gauntlet being thrown down, who can come up with the best Idea for a Bryson “Top Gearesque” Challenge. A head-to-head contest to kill a Saturday, provide a few laughs and a great piece for the website?

The Only Criteria:

A: We are all cheap and don’t want to spend much money

B: It’s gotta be legal.

So there we go, The challenge has been set!

No comments: